There’s Only One Foolproof Way to Avoid the Risks of Sex
For most parents, talking to their kids about sex is challenging and awkward. However, because there are so many physical and emotional risks involved when young people have sex, it’s important for parents to engage in relevant, timely conversations with their children about sexual activity. Many of these discussions can focus on reasons why waiting to have sex is a good idea.
- Family values about dating, relationships, and sexuality
- Personal life goals, such as college, career, and family (when the time is right)
- The need to be ready for parental responsibility
- The emotional cost of having sex too early
- The cost of pregnancy on educational goals
- The desire to enjoy being a teenager without worrying about the emotional investment of relationships and the risks involved with having sex