Whether kids return to in-person schooling or virtual classrooms, it is time to start thinking about getting back into a normal, everyday routine. Kids cannot quit their summer routine of staying up late and sleeping-in cold turkey—it’s best to ease back into the swing of things. Here are some tips to help kids get prepared for back to school:
- Start prepping for your school routine 2 weeks (or more!) before classes start.
- Make bedtimes and morning wake up calls earlier in small increments over time.
- Practice wearing a face mask (for those going to in-person schooling).
- Follow an eating schedule similar to what it will be when they are in school.
- Come up with a homework/extracurricular plan, so expectations are set when school starts.
- Set technology limits and technology free zones.
- Gather school supplies, including a face mask and hand sanitizer.
For Indianapolis, there are different resources for free school supplies and free face masks. It’s important for TrustED Adults to stay up to date with their school corporation’s return to school plan and the new procedures that have been put in place to ensure kids stay as healthy as possible.
Parent Toolkit: Getting Back In A School Routine At Every Age
Child Mind Institute: Helping Kids Back Into the School Routine
Indy with Kids: How to Get Your Child to Wear a Mask & Where to Get Masks for Kids
Free School Supplies
Indy with Kids: Free School Supplies, Backpacks, Haircuts, Uniforms, Health Screenings
Stand for Children: Free back to school supplies in Indianapolis
Free Adult Face Masks
Indy.gov: Face Covering Order Form